History

Until 1836

The Potawatomi encampment led by Chief Maunk-suck often referred to as Chief Big Foot was located outside Buena Vista’s southern border, the Chief’s lodge was located yards away from lot 99. The Potawatomi hunted, fished and lived their life off the land throughout what is present day Buena Vista traveling to interact with another Potawatomi encamped near Williams Bay. After the removal of Native American people in 1863 following the Treaty of Chicago (1833) foot paths and evidence of the tribe’s presence were still visible well into the early 1900s and influenced the locations of current roads and paths.

1839-1872

George Smith of Cook County, IL paid $6,856 for 100.80 acres in Fontana which included Buena Vista. Title Abstracts held by many BVC homeowners state that many of Fontana’s pioneers purchased small pieces of land or held easements of what is now Buena Vista including Mathis Mohr, Amos Bailey, William Bell and George Manierre. In 1840 a large portion of Smith’s land was sold to William Reid whose widow Mary and their descendants sold their holdings to Gurdon Montague and Doric Porter in 1872.

1872-1894

Montague and Porter established a camping resort including tents with wood floors, small cottages scattered through the property as well as renting campsites along the creek. The camp was referred to as Fontana Park, Montague & Porter’s Park and Porter’s Park. The site also included a building that served as an office, restaurant, small grocery and a place for guests to gather. In 1894 Porter, then a widower and Mary Montague, Gurdon’s widow, sold the property to Warren Furbeck.

1894- 1901

Furbeck of Chicago of Chicago and operated a stock brokerage was, formerly secretary to Charles T. Yerkes the financier of Yerkes Observatory in Williams Bay. His love for the area was born during his days on site during Yerkes’ construction. Furbeck made the Porter Park building located near lot 13 his summer home. He named his home Buena Vista.  

In 1899 Furbeck hired Henry Lord Gay a Chicago architect, to subdivide the property into residence and barn lots to include roads, walkways, a pump house and water mains. Manley Brothers of Harvard were contracted to build the utilities. Lot 100 running from North Shore Dr to the lake front was to include a hotel and the balance space to remain open for community enjoyment and recreation. Albert Cotsworth, a longtime friend and staff member, was engaged to market the Park and sell lots.

The 1901 market collapse forced Furbeck into receivership and he lost all of his holdings. His attorney and occasional summer guest, Wallace Heckman, who represented a number of high-profile clients sold Furbeck’s Buena Vista property to Mrs. Ida A. Richardson a widow and patroness of charitable educational endeavors serving children and the poor as an investment property.

1902-1910

Mr. Cotsworth, now an employee of Mr. Heckman was once again assigned to manage the development of the property and sell the lots.

A bridge now referred to as the Brook St bridge was built over the creek to provide direct access from the south followed by several more-all which exist today.

A small dining hall was built on lot 100 and run by Cotsworth’s sister Florence Bassett and her daughter who lived on lot 67.  A white oak was in the way of the dining hall porch. To preserve the tree, the porch was built around the tree. A road was built to circle the dining hall to enable deliveries by cart and horse. A garden was built on the location of the current tennis courts to supply the dining hall with vegetables.

Several cottages were built and furnished for rent with an option to buy. A pier was built for swimming. Electric lights were installed and roads were built to accommodate horse traffic. Mrs. Richardson was bearing the cost of providing utilities for all owned and rented property.

Sales were slow and Mr. Heckman purchased lot 23 and built a house to encourage sales. Mr. Furbeck was able to buy back lots 19-22 where he built a home.

Mrs. Richardson died and having one heir, her sister, it was directed that her estate be sold. The forced sale was set for August 16,1911. In an effort to maintain the sense of community established, a major effort was made to contact all friends, renters and guests to purchase the 69 unsold lots at half price to those who were willing to pay and sign immediately.

1912-1928

Buena Vista became a self-governing community under the guidance of two entities. The Buena Vista Park Corporation, responsible for managing the water source and utilities. This entity eventually devised a plan to buy the acreage across the road that contained the water source for the community. The Buena Vista Park Lot Owners Association was formed to establish protocol for community living and establish bylaws and rules and regulations. A lifeguard/swimming instructor is hired.

The dining room is closed as cottages began to include small kitchens. Boathouses were built near the pier. The tennis court was built. Drinking fountains were installed and a playground was planned.

1929-1949

Following the Wall Street Market Crash many homeowners were in arrears and renting their cottages. Those owners who had means either paid personally for infrastructure needs, prepaid their assessments or took personal loans and used the funds to benefit the community.

A Pastimes and Playground committee was formed. They were charged “to make this season the happiest at Buena Vista” and to do so in any manner they saw fit as long as they did not spend any money.  In the spirit of community service, the group rounded up the children to pull weeds, paint the pier and tidy the grounds. For enjoyment a tennis tournament was organized, an Interclub swim meet was held with Glenwood, Belvidere and Harvard Clubs. Baseball games were held daily. Fireworks supplied by a member were enjoyed and a Moonlight cruise and clambake was held.

The volleyball court was built. Roads were surfaced. A gravel fire road to the lake built to enable the fire department to pump water from the lake during a fire.

1950

Due to the establishment of water and sewer services by the Village of Fontana, the need for utility management in Buena Vista was no longer needed and a new management format was developed. The Buena Vista Club was established and incorporated.